Friday, September 19, 2008

remembering 2007


As you read this I will be enjoying my first visit to Philadelphia.
I just got back from New Mexico to see my Dad for his ninety second birthday. It amazes me that he is still able to live alone at home at that age. Of course this was a man who was up on a ladder in his eighties washing windows. He did fall and break his hip. We couldn’t keep him off that ladder. I kept taking it up to my house, but he would walk up and take it back. Finally he promised me he wouldn’t climb up on the ladder.
One day, needing to do some work up in the cherry tree, but remembering his promise, he pulled the picnic table over under the tree and stood on it to work in the cherry tree.

I was reading the talks from General Conference today (lds.org) by President Hinkley. And was reminded of his biography by Sherri Dew. I really enjoyed that book. One reason was because my dad grew up in East Mill Creek Utah at the same time. Two of his brothers knew and went to school with Gordon B. Hinckley. It was interesting to me to think of my dad going through those same life experiences as a young man at the same time, in the same place. I can see in them the same ideals, the same values, sense of humor and work ethic. I cherish the rich heritage my dad has given me. The words of the prophet are reflected in the words my Dad has for me, which makes them even more special to me.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

Even if you have the ultimate chocolate mousse recipe, try this. It’s made in food processor or blender, It can be doubled or tripled and is the perfect dessert for so many meals.

¼ cup very cold milk 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
¾ cup boiling milk 1 egg
¼ cup sugar 1 tsp. Vanilla
Pinch salt 1 cup heavy cream
1 6 oz. Pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 ice cubes

Place cold milk in food processor or blender. Add gelatin, process or blend to soften about 30 seconds. Add boiling milk. Blend another 30 seconds to a minute to dissolve gelatin. Add remaining ingredients, except cream and ice cubes. Blend until smooth. Add cream and ice cubes. Blend until cubes melt. Pour into bowl or parfait classes. Chill Serve with whipped cream, if desired. If you are doubling or tripling, do it in batches. Most processors don’t take large quantities of liquid. )Fast and Delicious Cookbook Nitty Gritty Productions)



It is a wonderful seasoning of all enjoyments to think of those we love.Jean Baptiste Poquelin Moliere The Misanthrope

No comments: