Tuesday, September 23, 2008

April 2007

Spring
Bouncing through
The air
Dancing in
The breeze
Dripping on
The blossoms
April’s here!



In April,
The shining sun touches blooms--
Colors’ the air.
Liquid sunshine
Fills it with fragrance
It’s Spring again!

I think spring is here!
Every morning I awaken to the sound of birds—and an occasional cat bouncing against the screens on the windows. Mariah, the kitten, went after a big bird the other day. We live near the airport and she saw a jet flying over. I think she almost had a heart attack!

The sounds of the birds remind me of my sister. Every morning she would wake me to listen to the sounds of the birds. I just wanted to sleep. She is still more attuned to nature than I am—but I’m still more rested! I remember as children that our favorite Primary song was “Little Purple Pansies”
.
Little Purple pansies touched with yellow gold,
Growing in one corner of the garden old;
We are very tiny but must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.

In whatever corner we may chance to grow,
Whether cold or warm the wind may ever blow,
Dark the day or sunny, we must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.

I think pansies are my favorite flower. They grow early in the spring time Sometimes even through the winter, on a sunny day I saw a pansy or two blooming in a corner. As long as you keep the flowers picked they will keep blooming, until it gets too hot for them. But if you don’t they will go to seed and stop. They remind me of faith. If we keep sharing it we give it a chance to grow. But if not, it goes to seed . However, like the pansy, faith will always give you another chance for a growing season.

Arlington is full of pansies this week. I hope you will get out and enjoy their smiling faces and remember to gladden your own corner of the world.

Did you know that pansies are edible? A tossed green salad looks really festive when you toss a handful in. I was surprised one year to see a package of blossoms in the grocery store along with the fresh herbs, although I had gotten some at farmer’s markets. You have to be careful though! I took a salad to a church picnic one year. A dear old sister yelled “Oh who put these weeds in this nice salad!” and threw them out. You can also dip them in sugar water, dust them with granulated sugar, let dry and decorate a cake with them.
Wendy

There are some things you don't have to know how it works – only that it works. While some people are studying the roots, others are picking the fruit. It just depends on which end of this you want to get in on." -- Jim Rohn


It takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong.
--Longfellow--

No comments: