Wednesday, September 24, 2008

July 2007

Well! June turned out to be an interesting month. I finished a queen sized appliquéd quilt for my daughter’s wedding; helped her plan a beautiful garden wedding and had surgery. The latter was the least fun. And now I am in the midst of eight weeks of recovery.
I was sitting around reading, playing solitaire and watching TV and one day decided I was waiting around to die. I had no plans, no projects, and no enthusiasm. I remember a few years ago making a list of all the things I wanted to do. I wrote them on a roll of adding machine tape and while giving a talk in church threw it out down the aisle saying, “ these are a few of the things I ‘d like to do with my life”. There were 650+ items and it rolled all the way to the back of the chapel!
Now, in the “Dull’ drums I needed to plan something lazy and exciting to do. So I am making a black and blue dragon quilt for my new son-in law-s birthday this month. He looks like Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, is into Marshall Arts, loves black!, and adores my daughter.
While in New Mexico I worked with 8-11 year old girls, planning activities and teaching them things we don’t have time to learn anymore. One day I asked them to make a list of five goals they would like to have in their lifetime; if there was no lack of time, money and no parental objections. Some of the older ones chose things they would like to do; and the majority things they would like to have. We need to think about goals to help us become.
I’m reading The Caged Virgin, a book by . Ayaan Hirsi Ali. “ An Emancipation Proclamation for Women and Islam.” In today’s chapter she describes her conversion from Islam to Atheism, using the 10 Commandments. As she describes how and why she breaks each commandment to make her life happier, she also describes how this has changed her relationship with her family. I’m not sure that what she had gained is worth what she has lost. I enjoy the love and closeness—the acceptance I have from my family, which being a member of the church has helped to solidify. I think the moral values taught in the 10 commandments can add much more to our lives than takes away from it.
It helps us to practice Holiness.
This month’s visiting teaching message is “Become an Instrument in the Hands of God by Practicing Holiness” Bonnie D. Parkin, former Relief Society general president: “Covenants—or binding promises between us and Heavenly Father—are essential for our eternal progression. Step-by-step, He tutors us to become like Him by enlisting us in His work. At baptism we covenant to love Him with all our hearts and love our sisters and brothers as ourselves. In the temple we further covenant to be obedient, selfless, faithful, honorable, charitable. We covenant to make sacrifices and consecrate all that we have. … “The Lord has called us to do all that we do with ‘holiness of heart’ [D&C 46:7]. And holiness is a product of covenant living. … Holiness prompts the words ‘Here am I; send me’ ” (“With Holiness of Heart,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2002, 103, 105).
So my challenge this month is make a list of five things you would like to do, have, and become. And how can one of these make someone else’s life happier!
Then call someone in your family and tell them you love them!

Wendy

No comments: