Thursday, September 18, 2008


My name is Wendy. I came from Los Alamos, New Mexico, a mountain community in the high desert. My community had about 16-20 thousand people , one grocery store, one department store and ten stoplights. So you can imagine the adjustments I’ve had to make in the last nine months moving to the Washington DC area. I have a son in his thirty’s and a daughter in college. My husband works for DOE and we have two cats.

I don’t like being told what to do. I think this is a universal thing. We don’t mind being asked “nicely” but not told! Last night I had the windows open and heard “Taps” being played over at Ft. Myers. This is always a pleasant sound- one of the things I’ve enjoyed about living here in Arlington. But this morning at 6:30 a.m. I heard Revelry and I definitely wasn’t ready to wake up!

I have a cat. We call her the Seminary cat. She belonged to my daughter; and got into the habit of going to bed at 9:00, and getting up at 5:30
Unfortunately after my daughter left for college, the cat still wanted someone to herd to bed at 9:00 and wake up at 5:30. One day when I resisted her mews and gentle prodding she climbed up on the chest of drawers and jumped down onto my chest. When I ignored her—she did it again. I got up, but like I said I don’t like being told what to do.

I have a tomato plant that I think has the same feelings. As the air gets colder and the garden is beginning to wind down, my tomato plant is beginning to dry out and turn brown. But it has two stubborn branches. One has three green tomatoes on it, and the other five new blossoms. It just doesn’t want to be told it’s time to stop.

I’m taking advantage of a new start to write poetry. So if you’d like to help send 10 random words to me. (I don’t use all ten in one poem)
One of Cathy's words was cat!

Cats in the bathroom!
Cats in the hall!
Cats on the curtains--
I Hope they don’t fall!
Cats on the couches
Traveling at high speed
Cat’s are the one thing
That every home needs

Wendy

God gives every bird his worm, but He does not throw it into the nest.P. D. JamesDevices And Desires Vinta

No comments: