Sunday, September 28, 2008

February 2008

January was kind of boring month at our house. We did meet as a family in La Crosse, which was fun. We went eagle searching in the cold grey days of the Wisconsin winter. But that was just for a weekend. Since then I’ve been content to stay around the house and enjoy the quiet and warmth of being inside. And I took the time to read fourteen books.
In one of them, Proclaiming the Gospel quotes by Spencer W. Kimball, I found this quote.

In the March 1981 New Era, President Spencer W. Kimball said, “We must use our Talents. In the account of the barren fig tree (See Matthew 21;19) the unproductive tree was cursed for its barrenness. What a loss to the individual and to humanity if the vine does not grow. The tree does not bear fruit. The soul does not expand through service! One must live, not only exist; he must do, not merely be; he must grow, not just vegetate. We must use our talents in behalf of our fellowmen. Rather than burying them in the tomb of a self-centered life. Personal purity and veracity and stability in leadership are essential if we are to give sanctified service to others. We must expend our energies and use our skills for purposes larger than our own self-interest if we desire true happiness.”

So I’d best get on my feet and become more productive. What can I do for you? My newly married niece in Indiana, has provided me with one idea. She is expecting in June so I can get out my quilting frame.

Another fun January event was a visiting teaching conference. We met to make flags be a symbol of our visiting teaching districts. I chose the following scripture and a quilting star motif.

“Let the mountains shout for joy,
and all ye valleys cry aloud;…
and let the sun, moon and morning
stars sing together. And let all the sons
of God shout for joy!
And let the eternal creations declare
His name, forever and ever.”
D&C 128:23

So I will shout for joy and tell you that I believe in Jesus Christ. I know God loves me and listens to my prayers. I know that He wants me to be here and be your visiting teacher. Thank you for letting me write to you.

Hope you have a fun month. Because Valentines day is this month—Go tell someone you love them.
With love,
Wendy

1 comment:

LC said...

Hi Wendy! Welcome to the blogging world. I love your writing and your poems. Are these the newsletters you would send out? I can understand why people enjoy reading them, I understand and relate.