Tuesday, October 14, 2008

September 2008

Who are you named for?
In Helaman 5:4-7 we read:
4 And it came to pass that Nephi had become weary because of their iniquity; and he yielded up the judgment-seat, and took it upon him to preach the word of God all the remainder of his days, and his brother Lehi also, all the remainder of his days;
5 For they remembered the words which their father Helaman spake unto them. And these are the words which he spake:
6 Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first aparents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good.
7 Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them.

Each of my siblings was named for another member of my parents families. I wasn’t! According to the story- I was named for two of my father’s students who were both smart and beautiful. It was hoped that I would be too. I think it would have been easier to be named after an aunt, uncle or grandparent with no expectations! Who were you named after? What qualities were your parents hoping you would gain. We named our daughter Laurel (after her grandma Laura) Rose (after her grandpa Ross) and Ann (after her aunt Lois Ann), but we call her Amanda which means much loved, because she is. And Laurel Amanda RoseAnn is an advocate for women’s rights, is much loved, enjoys debating anything, and is a wonderful teacher of children.

This morning, Labor Day, my husband took me to the Silver Diner for breakfast. We were talking about his co-workers and their cute younger wives. Teasingly I told him he was stuck with his old dumpy one. He said I was worth it. Isn’t he sweet. I asked him how long his mother’s first marriage lasted, and we started reminiscing about her and how little she had talked about her early adulthood. Suddenly he had an awestruck look on his face. He was amazed that he had a personal link to history over eighty years ago.
I have one through my grandmother to a time before computers, and cell phones; before automobiles, rockets and airplanes. Even I remember life before TV. My children refer to my life as “In the days of black and white.” As you talk to your parents and grandparents, do you have stories that go back eighty years or more?

Did you know that the Church is working on making finding your genealogy easier and faster to do? Do you know names and birthdates for your parents, grandparents and great grandparents? Do you want to know more? Many times in the last three years I’ve wished I could ask my mother a question about her life. But it is now too late.
If you’re still not ready to do the four generations of genealogy or have already done them, start with generation 1 – you. Start or continue with your journal. Who are you? Who were you named for? As I told my son when he left for Wisconsin, Remember who you are!

Wendy

No comments: