Tuesday, October 14, 2008

August 2008

Last week I died and went to hell.
A friend and co-worker of my husband’s invited us to go to a concert/fundraiser for a friend of his who plays in a band. It sounded like a good thing to do and fun so innocently I went along.
What do I know! My daughter likes to go to clubs to dance, but I’ve never been .My son loves cool guitar music while I prefer country western and classical music. They’re good kids so it can’t be too bad !I’ve heard “newscasters” talking about Adam’s Morgan and what a fun and interesting part of DC it is.
Well ! I sat on a stool, in a dark, airless room; with red lights glowing on animal heads, teeth gnashing, People around me were pulsating to the music, wild grins on their faces. On the walls were paintings of naked men and women. The noise was loud and raucous in spite of the music.
All I could think about was the spacious building in Lehi’s dream where people were laughing and pointing at Lehi and his family(I Nephi 8) Thankfully my husband took pity on my distress and we left after an hour.
Sunday I sat in the chapel with light, windows, and white walls. People were smiling, and quietly greeting each other. Music was playing in the background. Peace! It was Heaven.
What is Heaven for you? Is it walking in a lush garden? Building sand castles at the beach with family? Listening to beautiful music? Climbing mountains in Italy? Even watching the light go on in the mind of that student who finally figured out the answer to a problem is a touch of Heaven.
As you choose your Heaven here on earth I’d like to remind you of one of our apostles.
Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: "We are to be creators in our own right—builders of an individual faith in God, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and faith in His Church. We are to build families and be sealed in holy temples. We are to build the Church and kingdom of God upon the earth. We are to prepare for our own divine destiny—glory, immortality, and eternal lives. These supernal blessings can all be ours, through our faithfulness" ("The Creation," Liahona, July 2000, 104–5; Ensign, May 2000, 86).
Best wishes for the month of August.

Wendy

No comments: