Thursday, October 4, 2012

Left Behind Again!



When you think of being left behind what do you think about? The “Rapture?”, The school bus driving off without you? A loved one’s sudden death? Your best friend moving to another country? Winter coming, leaving your plants withering in the  garden? How does that make you feel?

Autumn is here. Officially the calendar says it is. Some of my garden is fighting and
trying to stay one more day, one more week. Although I love the changing of the seasons, I miss the colorful flowers on my terrace. And since we won’t have this terrace garden for the next growing season, I’m giving away most of my seventy containers of plants. I feel like my “children” are going off to live somewhere with out me. I’m being left behind.
I looked up some quotes about being left behind and found quite a variety.

“The sun was like a great visiting presence that stimulated and took it’s due from all animal energy. When it flung wide it’s cloak and stepped down over the edge of the fields at evening, it left behind it a spent and exhausted world.”
-Willa Cather._

Goodbyes are hard. It may be hard for the person leaving, but it’s always harder for the one left behind.”
-Unknown-
“It always is harder to be left behind than to be the one to go…
-Brock Thoene 

“All the colors in my life are colors that you left behind. All the songs that I sing are from thoughts that you left behind.”

If I passed away tomorrow and would be happy with the music I left behind, I would consider that success”
-Justin Nozuka-

“Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten”
-David Ogden Stiers”

And it shall come to pass that except they repent I will utterly destroy them from off the face of the earth; yet they shall leave a record behind them, and I will preserve them for other nations which shall possess the land; yea, even this will I do that I may discover the abominations of this people to other nations. And many things did Abinadi prophesy against this people.” Mosiah 12:8

“If we think  we have ours and don’t owe any time or money or effort to help those left behind, then we are a part of the problem rather that the solution to the fraying social fabric that threatens all Americans.”
-Marian Wright Edelman_
So the question is-
What are we leaving behind for the world to remember us by?
Who are we leaving behind and are they better for knowing us?
What can we do to help those who are left behind?

Go bloom a little longer and make a difference in someone’s life!

No comments: