Friday, January 5, 2018

Her Share

FROM MY JOURNAL








MARCH 27,1997
 
Yesterday I went to Jean McGuire’s funeral. The minister read a scripture that Jean had found when the McGuires had moved to Washington, and she was missing her friends in Los Alamos

Philipians 4:11-13
“Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound: everywhere and in all things.
 I can do all things through Jesus Christ which strengtheneth me.

Five years ago when my Michael died some one asked me if I hadn't had my share of sadness and I wrote this poem.
Her Share
She's had her share of sadness
They say
And I but wonder
Who decides
How large is my share?
How small is yours? 
What is the greater price?

We are all suffering different stresses and pain in our lives. Who is to say when enough is enough. I hope we can all look for the beauty in growing that comes from our struggles, and do all things through Christ which  strengtheneth..."

My resolution this year is to learn to accept the difficult as well as the joyful. Whats yours?
Visiting teaching is about ministering. Jesus ministered anytime and anywhere. We can do the same.    
To “minister” is to give service, care, or aid that contributes to the comfort or happiness of another. Visiting teaching is about discovering ways to minister to those we visit. Jesus Christ ministered to all—anytime and anywhere. He fed the 5,000, comforted Mary and Martha at the death of their brother, and taught His gospel to the woman at the well. He did it because of His sincere love.
Following His example,  we can come to know and love each sister we visit, remembering that love is the foundation of all we do. When we pray for inspiration to know how to serve her and help her strengthen her faith, “the angels cannot be restrained from being [our] associates.”

No comments: