Sunday, July 30, 2017

Priorities


 








Someday I’m going to die.
I don’t think I will be finished yet!
Thirty years ago, I gave a talk in church. It was in January and it was about setting goals.
Since I’ve always been a list maker, I had a list of 357 or some things I would like to do. I typed these on adding machine tape end and at the end of my talk I said, “Here are a few of my goals >” and rolled the tape down the aisle to the back of the chapel.
Twenty years later someone who still remembered that talk asked me how many things on that list I had accomplished.
Last month I found the list cut up in strips and put in an old fashion bean pot (my dream pot!!
Going through them today I’m having a laugh and wondering how many I will ever do?
I know I won’t make plaid pants for my four-year-old, or knit a yellow dress for her Barbie doll.
And what was a Millennial wreath anyway? Some embroideries and quilts I have finished and they adorn my home and the homes of others.
As I age and I see the end of my lifespan creeping closer I am wondering about my priorities. Have I done what the Lord sent me here to do?
Have I learned those things I need to enhance my eternity and that of others?
1.    Have I been kind?
2.    Have I been honest?
3.    Have I taught lessons and skills to enhance other’s lives?
4.    Have I kept the promises I have made to God and those around me?
5.    Have I shared all the best things in my life to improve the lives of others?
6.    Have I forgiven, and been forgiven?
7.    Is the world better because I was here?

In an article in the May 2011 Ensign magazine “We Have Work To Do”
President Gordon stated
…I do not have a perfect knowledge, but I will try a little harder to be a little better

No comments: