Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Light in the Dark


My friend Carol called me last week. She laundered her cell phone accidentally. She took it back to her provider to see if she could recover her phone list. I was the only one. So she called me.

Besides being a friend she is an inspiration to me. I look at all the things that have happened to her in her lifetime and marvel at her love, endurance and strong spirit. We have had a number of similar experiences to weather and it has been good to know someone who really feels what you are going through.
As I was looking through old e-mails, I found one she had written last year when her mother had died.

“I am at the airport in Seattle. (that's where)How is DAZED! My mom died Feb 12
I am a mess!I hope I will ever be the same as before. What else is there to hope for? I found this piece as I was goings through the myriad of my Mothers things”

"Learn to like what does not cost much.
Learn to like reading, conversation, and music.
Learn to like plain food, plain service, plain cooking.
Learn to like people, even though some of them may be very different from you.
Learn to keep your wants simple. Refuse to be owned and anchored by things and opinions of others.
Learn to like the sunrise and the sunset, the beating of rain on the roof and windows, and the gentle fall of snow in the winter.
Learn to like life for it's own sake."

You can’t learn to nourish your sisters until you learn to nurture yourself

Our mothers are a strong influence in our lives. Do you remember something your mother said that has influenced your future? My mother always said, "Where ever you go, leave the world better than you found it."


On Face Book someone posted this thought today
“Don’t feel bad if people remember you only when they need you.
Feel privileged that you are like a candle that comes to their mind when there is darkness.

If you only had one number. Who would you call?

"To be a righteous woman during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. … She has been placed here to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home—which is society’s basic and most noble institution."
Spencer W. Kimball

If there were only one number to call, would someone call you?

No comments: